Friday, October 31, 2008

Working on Botnets with Dr. Amoros

This semester opened many new intrests and new vistas for me !!! I was not that keen to learn and research about web security and information authentication but my Encounter with Dr. Edward Amoroso ( Chief Information Security Office - ATnT -Bell Labs ) gave me a new direction.

Taking his course Cyber Security and Information Authentication at Stevens not only routed my intrest in this domain but also helped me in knowing more about the future buzz in Data privacy.My currently researching on Botnets and writing a White Paper on Botnets with the guidance or Prof Edward and Prof Rich Turner......

I am updating some important information about BOTNETS

Botnets: The new threat Landscape

A botnet is an army of compromised machines also known as ZOMBIES, that are under the command and control of a "SINGLE BOTMASTER".The rise of consumer broadband has gretaky increased the power of botnets to launch the crippling denial of service and sometimes DDOS attack on servers,infecting millions of computers with spyware and mailicious code, steal data,send vast quantity of spam and so on ........

Botnets are hard to detect because they are highly dynamic in nature and they adapt their behaviour to evade the security of many servers....

According to me , IT security teams must prevent corporate devices from being a part of botnet and protect corporate resources from attacks.The upcoming white paper contains my research on botnets ,the damage cause by attacks and mitigation techniques.

No comments: